[sclug] Ipod nano

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sun Dec 31 16:01:17 UTC 2006

Neil Haughton wrote:

>> mount -t hfs /dev/ipod /mnt/ipod Just Works (tm) for recent (e.g.
>> debby sarge) distros. At least it understands the -t hfs bit - I
>> don'thave a real hfs to try it on yet.
>>

> I stand corrected!

In the end it didn't matter as the nano's fs is vfat.

However gtkpod is a chocolate teapot :-(

Bizarre user interface - we couldn't get our brains round the _two_
Artist/Album/Genre etc panes or the 'gtkpod' default in the Playlists
window  - and no documentation.

Bloody useless (lack of) error messages even on stdout/stderr. Nursing
it along mounting and unmounting it manually (since gtkpod's 'Handle
mounting/unmounting of iPod drive' function only seemed to work
erratically) we managed just to get some mp3s onto the 'pod, but as soon
as we got home (and back online) sproggy installed itunes on XP and has
been using it since :-(

--
John Stumbles