[sclug] Ipod nano

ed ed at s5h.net
Sun Dec 31 16:51:24 UTC 2006

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:00:55 +0000
John Stumbles <john at stumbles.org.uk> wrote:

> Neil Haughton wrote:
>
> >> mount -t hfs /dev/ipod /mnt/ipod Just Works (tm) for recent (e.g.
> >> debby sarge) distros. At least it understands the -t hfs bit - I
> >> don'thave a real hfs to try it on yet.
> >>

> > I stand corrected!
>
> In the end it didn't matter as the nano's fs is vfat.
>
> However gtkpod is a chocolate teapot :-(
>
> Bizarre user interface - we couldn't get our brains round the _two_
> Artist/Album/Genre etc panes or the 'gtkpod' default in the Playlists
> window  - and no documentation.

those panes can be ignored, i found that expanding the pod tree on the
left, and then just drag the music into that, then press sync and it
writes it. the album/artist/genre panes are based on the id3
information of the mp3s. my music collection was free of id3 data until
i got the pod, then i had to sort all that out with some scripting.

> Bloody useless (lack of) error messages even on stdout/stderr.
> Nursing it along mounting and unmounting it manually (since gtkpod's
> 'Handle mounting/unmounting of iPod drive' function only seemed to
> work erratically) we managed just to get some mp3s onto the 'pod, but
> as soon as we got home (and back online) sproggy installed itunes on
> XP and has been using it since :-(

the sprog might like things that are different to our tastes. it might
be more convenient for them to use ichewns as opposed to gtkpod, which
is my personal choice.

gtkpod might appear useless, but i think it's that way because of the
interface on the ipod, the way that categorises the music has an
influence on the menus.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://s5h.net/qf
proud java person