[sclug] Announcing imminent book release

John Barron mail at europa.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 31 17:28:51 UTC 2006

Planned for public release January 1st, 2007, now available for SCLUG as a
sneak preview by direct access link:

Mandrake Linux 2007 for Home Users (Wim Coulier)
(?6.63 Paperback book, full colour, 30 illustrations)
http://www.lulu.com/content/603439

Mandriva Linux 2007 for Home Users B&W (Wim Coulier)
(?3.05 Paperback book, black & white, 30 illustrations)
http://www.lulu.com/content/605126

5MB PDF download, both PDF's are identical and in colour.

Wim is an Internet friend of mine who I've been corresponding off and on with
for quite some time now. He originally produced a Creative Commons-licensed
article on Mandriva 2006, which he translated to English from the original
Dutch, and despite Mandriva not being my own distribution of choice I liked
his article so much I did some work on tidying up the English phrasing and
expressions, to help make the article more accessible to the widest possible
audience.

Recently, a little over a month ago, Wim produced an updated and expanded
article covering the Mandriva ONE 2007 version, which you can find on his
website:
http://coulier.org/CMS/MDV_2007_homeusers_1_EN.html
and since then I've been engaged in turning the OpenOffice document Wim
produced into a print-ready form using Scribus, for publication on Lulu.com,
which is now about to happen.

Licensing is Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike, so copying,
redistribution, and derivative works are permitted, commercially or
non-commercially, provided that the original authors are credited and that
the same rights and license are granted to downstream recipients.

>From the Lulu page "book preview" will also get you the title page and
Creative Commons deed, the table of contents, list of figures, and the first
page of text, without needing to download anything. The preview is a bit
grainy compared to the actual PDF, at least on my machine, but you get to see
what's in there at least.

There may need to be a 2nd edition at some point, I won't really know what it
looks like in print until I order a physical copy, and undoubtedly there'll
be some aspect of it that doesn't work out as intended, there always is with
something like this.

--
John Barron