[sclug] su/sudo (sounds like a Phil Collins song!)

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 10:13:35 UTC 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, darren at davisononline.org wrote:

> I saw some comment from someone a couple of days ago who mused that "su" was
> pretty much deprecated and everyone used (or should use) "sudo" instead.
> It's not something I've seen much discussion on, but the issues may not
> affect me as a don't administer machines with multiple root users.

If I was running a true multi-user system, with delegated roles (user
creation, backup, restore, etc), I would certainly use sudo to avoid handing
out the root password to all my colleagues.

I have used sudo in scripts to allow a non-root user to rmmod some modules
and modprobe others (parallel port stuff, for VMware).

The rest of the time, I use 'su -'.

That said, I think I heard something about Ubuntu that it had eliminated the
root account as a login account altogether, and forced users to use sudo for
everything.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?