[sclug] su/sudo (sounds like a Phil Collins song!)

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Mon Jan 16 10:24:45 UTC 2006

> > I saw some comment from someone a couple of days ago who mused that
> > "su" was pretty much deprecated and everyone used (or
> should use) "sudo" instead.
> > It's not something I've seen much discussion on, but the issues may
> > not affect me as a don't administer machines with multiple
> root users.
>
> If I was running a true multi-user system, with delegated
> roles (user creation, backup, restore, etc), I would
> certainly use sudo to avoid handing out the root password to
> all my colleagues.
>
> I have used sudo in scripts to allow a non-root user to rmmod
> some modules and modprobe others (parallel port stuff, for VMware).
>
> The rest of the time, I use 'su -'.
>
> That said, I think I heard something about Ubuntu that it had
> eliminated the root account as a login account altogether,
> and forced users to use sudo for everything.

Ubuntu standard install does not ask for a root password during setup, but
the root account does exist. Sudo is the way forward there. Server & expert
install do ask for a root password during install.

Having used Ubuntu on my laptop a lot recently, I have now install sudo onto
the server here, as it seems to make life a little easier.

believed to be clean.