[sclug] Bugzilla server

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Tue Jan 17 11:46:00 UTC 2006

> Hi all

Hi,

> I've been tasked with getting an internet facing Bigzilla
> server on Redhat up and running pronto(ish).  I've not put a
> Linux server on the web before (I generally work with
> software from the Dark Side :-) and was wondering if the
> server *needs* to be behind a firewall or not.

_*ALWAYS*_ put internet facing systems behind a firewall.

> And if I really do need a firewall, any advice on whether I'd
> be better off with a 'free' software based one (IPCop,
> Smoothwall) or really splash out on something like Firewall-1

Linux comes with something called iptables, which can be configured to be an
SPI type firewall. IPCop & smoothwall are just iptables with eyecandy, and
slightly easier setup.

If you have a hardware firewall, use both.

HTH

Chris

believed to be clean.