[sclug] Wheelie bins in Wokers

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Wed Jan 18 20:10:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 19:55:46 +0000, Neil Haughton wrote:

: ><economics><politics>
: >.... or whether the bureaucracy would end up outweighing any
: >possible savings... Wokingham's council election results appear to
: >indicate
: >the majority of its residents believe the latter.
: ></politics></economics>

: BMFBI but has anyone given them the choice? Given the mess that I
: regularly observe along Wokingham pavements from torn or ripped plastic
: refuse bags when cycling through there on bin day, I wonder if the local
: residents wouldn't grab 'em (wheelie bins, that is), given the chance.

I think most would.  Around here, people put out quite a number of plastic
bags, unbinned (as it were).  I've even done it myself, until a couple of
weeks ago when a brace of foxes shredded them.

The council reckon that wheelies generate more waste -- I'm not entirely
sure why, but they quote some statistics to back it up -- which costs more
to process, but TBH I'd rather that and have the hedgerows around here
free from spilt rubbish.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.