[sclug] Mail choices

Simon Heywood simon at triv.org.uk
Fri Jan 20 00:00:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:23:29 -0000, Neil Owens wrote:
> I'm hoping the 'committee' could offer a little advice on the choice of mail
> packages to install in Redhat Ent 4.  Sendmail is the default, but anecdotes
> claim it's a pig to configure.

Yes. Or at least it was when I abandoned that particular ship back in
2000. I switched to Exim at the time, since it seemed easy to configure
and reasonably flexible. I'd still recommend it for setting up a
run-of-the mill mail server.

For my shiny new (OK, acquired from eBay) rack-mount server, I picked
Postfix. I haven't used it for long enough to know how it compares to
Exim, but it was quite easy to configure, and it appears to have been
well designed.

IIRC, both packages are in Cent^H^H^H^HRHEL 4.

S.