Threading/followups Re: [sclug] Mail choices

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Fri Jan 20 13:47:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 06:27:47AM +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> >Yes, it's called thread hijacking and for anyone who uses a threaded
> >MUA, bloody irritating.
> Everything you say is valid.

> However, your solution is to try to change other people's behaviour
> which, history suggests, is likely to be of limited success (hence this
> kind of posting appearing from time to time). What is needed is more is
> a solution that the person who perceives the problem can implement, and
> a reasonable starting point would seem to be intelligence in the MUA
> that notices that this reply both has a new subject and no quoted text
> from earlier replies, and is thus likely to be a new thread.

In mutt you can hit # to break a thread - it persists across changing
out of the mailbox and back again so I'm assuming it'll persist across
quits too.

I hate many abuses of mail[1] too but I've mostly given up trying to
persuade people I'm right.

Simon.

[1] I could list them all but I'd be here all day and you'd all hate me.

--
 _        huggie at earth.li      -+*+-     fou, con et anglais      _
(_)     "Rule six:  There is no... rule six." - Monty Python     (_)