[sclug] drawing network diagrams?

ed ed at s5h.net
Fri Jul 21 18:08:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:24:49 +0100
Matt <matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com> wrote:

> > dia
>
> ...which sadly still doesn't compare to Visio which I've used on and
> off since Windows 3.x days. It's got a bit more bloated since MS got
> their paws on it, but it's basically the best out there IMHO.

I've not need to use visio for like years since I first saw dia.

There is also xfig, I don't know if that's been mentioned yet, I used
it once or twice.

Don't forget, there's also 7bit ASCII drawings which are common place
in the RFC's, if you're interested you can use the gimps ASCII lib to
write something similar, but that's more like ASCII art.

Here is something I did recently, just for the sake of it:

>      +----------+                   +----------+
>      | isp feed |                   | isp feed |
>      +----+-----+                   +----+-----+
>           |                              |
>      +----+------+                 +-----+-----+
>      | gw router |                 | gw router |
>      +--+-----+--+                 +--+-----+--+
>         | a   | b                     | c   | d
>         |     +---------+             |     |
>         |               |   +---------+     |
>         |               |   |               |
>         |               +-------------+     |
>         |     +-------------+         |     |
>         |     |                       |     |
>      +--+-----+---+                +--+-----+--+
>      | switch 3   |                | switch 4  |
>      +--+-----+---+                +--+-----+--+
>         |     |                       |     |
>         |     +--- < web servers > ---+     |
>         |                                   |
>      +--+--------+                 +--------+--+
>      | gw router |                 | gw router |
>      +--+-----+--+                 +--+-----+--+
>         | e   | f                     | g   | h
>         |     +---------+             |     |
>         |               |   +---------+     |
>         |               |   |               |
>         |               +-------------+     |
>         |     +-------------+         |     |
>         |     |                       |     |
>      | switch 1   |                | switch 2  |

 etc etc.

Visio and dia just don't have RFC diagramming styles!

--
Regards,
Ed.