[sclug] drawing network diagrams?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Fri Jul 21 22:29:45 UTC 2006

ed wrote:

> To connect objects like this you can, for example just drop a line into
> the drawing, then connect end point A to object A, so that object A
> gets a red/yellow outline, then do the same with endpoint B to object B.
>
> You can then move the objects freely and the far point will remain
> attached.

I'm struggling here: the only way I can find to draw a line is polyline
(from the Drawing panel). If I draw one of those and go to Move points
(on the Editing panel) I can drag the end points of the line to vertices
on other objects and if I place them close enough the little rectangles
at the end of the line and the vertex of the object disappear,
suggesting that they've linked up (though I don't get any red/yellow
outlines).

   []----[]
    |    |
    |    |
   []----+
          \
           \
            +------[]
            |      |
            |      |
            |      |
           []------[]

But if I then move one of the objects (with the Move objects tool) the
line joining the two objects breaks away from the other object and the
connecting line stays with the object being moved.

   []----[]
    |    |
    |    |
   []----[]

           []
            \
             \
              +------[]
              |      |
              |      |        moved this one
              |      |

> Umm, I'd like to see someone put real effort into a drawing, it's more
> concise like this :) Flashy icons mean little to me, I like it raw! As
> someone once said "If one can't say it in plain text, it's not worth
> saying".

Don't accuse me of being against against ASCII art :-)
   http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_oq=ascii&as_uauthors=stumbles

"A picture is worth a thousand words, or roughly 5kB" :-)

--
John Stumbles