[sclug] drawing network diagrams?

ed ed at s5h.net
Fri Jul 21 21:08:43 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:11:36 +0100
John Stumbles <john at stumbles.org.uk> wrote:

> ed wrote:
>
> > There is also xfig, I don't know if that's been mentioned yet, I
> > used it once or twice.
>
> I don't see any way to connect objects together so they stay
> connected when you reposition them. Am I missing something?

To connect objects like this you can, for example just drop a line into
the drawing, then connect end point A to object A, so that object A
gets a red/yellow outline, then do the same with endpoint B to object B.

You can then move the objects freely and the far point will remain
attached.

If you have several objects (A,B,C) joined to a single object (D) and
you wish D to remain as it is, whilst moving A B C to elsewhere, select
using shift A, B, C, (not the lines), then drag A B C, the line should
remain attached to both end points.

> > Don't forget, there's also 7bit ASCII drawings which are common
> > place in the RFC's, if you're interested you can use the gimps
> > ASCII lib to write something similar, but that's more like ASCII
> > art.

> But no connections, and not suitable for user-friendly documentation
> (RFC readers != users ;-)

Umm, I'd like to see someone put real effort into a drawing, it's more
concise like this :) Flashy icons mean little to me, I like it raw! As
someone once said "If one can't say it in plain text, it's not worth
saying".

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://s5h.net/u?l
proud java hacker