[sclug] drawing network diagrams?

ed ed at s5h.net
Sat Jul 22 15:35:59 UTC 2006

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:40:07 +0100
John Stumbles <john at stumbles.org.uk> wrote:

> However I think the 'bug' I described is perhaps a 'feature' :-)
> If I connect 2 objects by a line comprising more than one segment e.g.
>
>    []----[]
>     |    |  /\
>     |  A | /a \b
>    []----+     \
>                 \
>                  +------[]
>                  |      |
>                  |  B   |
>                  |      |
>                 []------[]
>
> and move object B (with Smart Links set to Slide) then line segment
> 'b' moves as I described (X stays constant, Y stays same ofset from
> B's Y position) until I click again to confirm B's new position
> whereupon line segement 'a' adjusts to meet the new position of 'b'.
>
> (I guess maybe what's happening in the code is that object B is
> telling its attached line segment how to move while B is being
> dragged around, then when B is finally positioned line segment 'b'
> tells what's attached to the other end to adjust to meet it. This
> would work where what's attached is another line segment but doesn't
> work where what's attached is an object which doesn't know how to
> adjust to meet.)

I think this smart links feature is not in my version, but it sounds
like that is what's causing the lines to move around and become
disjointed.

Try other smart link settings, it might change the behaviour to
something more reasonable.

> > Which version of dia are you using, 0.94 here.
>
> 3.2 patchlevel 5-alpha5 (Protocol 3.2) which is what I got as the
> package with debian stable (sarge)

My debian stable has given me 0.94... Did you get dia from www.apt-
get.org?

We're using very different versions it seems. 0.94 does not have a
smart links feature, it just does it!

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.gnunix.net
just another bash person