[sclug] drawing network diagrams?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sat Jul 22 16:47:11 UTC 2006

ed wrote:

>>>Which version of dia are you using, 0.94 here.
>>
>>3.2 patchlevel 5-alpha5 (Protocol 3.2) which is what I got as the
>>package with debian stable (sarge)
>

> My debian stable has given me 0.94... Did you get dia from www.apt-
> get.org?

Aha! sorry, I missed the reference to dia earlier, I thought we were
talking about xfig (well, I was anyway!). Your reference to red/yelow
outlines makes sense now!

Trouble with dia is if I group primitive objects together I need them to
act as a basic object to which I can e.g. connect other objects, but I
couldn't find a way to do that: once they're joined I get grey anchor
points instead of bright green ones and I can't attach lines to the new
grouped object. In visio and OOo draw you can create connection points
on a group object and use them to connect lines to the group object.
IIRC with Visio you can create your own library of special objects which
I'd need to do since the selection in dia is so restricted (e.g. in
electrical symbols there's not even a change-over switch).

--
John Stumbles