[sclug] World's first Open movie released

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 11:19:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, John Stumbles wrote:

> Alex Butcher wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, John Stumbles wrote:
>>
>>> $ mplayer Elephants_Dream_1024.avi
>>

>> Try
>>
>>     mplayer -ao oss -vo xv Elephants_Dream_1024.avi
>
> thanks, that's it!

Cool.

>> if xv doesn't work, try x11.
>
> This works as well but warns
>           ************************************************
>           **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****
>           ************************************************

Don't worry, xv is better than x11 anyway as it uses the XVIDEO extension to
offload scaling and some other video functions to the GPU on your video
card. In fact, if your video card and drivers support it, xvmc could be
worth a try also. Best to sync your discs before you do, though...

> With -ao oss -vo xv the sync is not too bad, but still sometimes
> noticeably a fraction of a second out.

Try pausing and restarting.

> Thanks.

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>