[sclug] World's first Open movie released

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Fri Jun 9 11:43:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:15:36 +0100, John Stumbles wrote:
: Alex Butcher wrote:
: >On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, John Stumbles wrote:

: >>$ mplayer Elephants_Dream_1024.avi

: >Try

: >    mplayer -ao oss -vo xv Elephants_Dream_1024.avi

Or install ALSA, which is better (you can have multiple things using the
sound devices simultaneously, for example).

: thanks, that's it!

: >if xv doesn't work, try x11.

: This works as well but warns
:            ************************************************
:            **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****
:            ************************************************

: Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
: - Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
:   - Try -ao sdl or use the OSS emulation of ALSA.
:   - Experiment with different values for -autosync, 30 is a good start.
: ...
: It also gives very bad A/V sync (5-10 secs out!). With -ao oss -vo xv
: the sync is not too bad, but still sometimes noticeably a fraction of a
: second out.

In your last email, you pasted:

> Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
> Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system
> startup scripts.

Do this (or at any rate run that command, as root).  It'll allow mplayer
access to the real-time clock properly, which will help with timing
issues.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.