[sclug] Using open source to make money on generic PCs (article)

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sun Jun 11 21:20:19 UTC 2006

alan c wrote:
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6998877341.html
>
> Is there anyone local in Berks who uses such an approach?
> Alternatively, would it be considered at some level, if a few
> -volunteers- appreared to assist with some of the chores including
> simple support work - mostly as a labour of love?
>
> It begs a few questions of course, but one can dream?

Maybe package up a system of hardware: a quiet box with decent size HDD,
DVD rewriter, TV tuner, remote control, choice of decent screens;
software: all the apps to make it a PVR plus CD/DVD ripping, editing,
recording & playing, as well as standard distro stuff (fileserving,
office, games, browsing, mail, photo handling + manipulation etc). Sell
it as a top-flight PVR/TV plus networked fileserver for your home
network (stream AV off the box to your laptop anywhere in the house via
wireless, run Linux apps on the box from your Windoze laptop via VNC,
even do it securely from afar). It would need a SWMBO-friendly interface
(maybe remote-control based) to work as a PVR/TV and do some of the AV
stuff (play audio files, upload and display digicam pix) so that
non-techie users can use it with no more learning curve than the TV,
video and stereo systems whose functions it's performing. Granted this
might be a bit clunky at first but a small system integrator might be
able to feed back from their customers to improve it, and the
word-of-mouth factor of a system whose vendors are prepared to listen to
the customer and improve it from their feedback has got to be worth
something.

Seems to me this is the area M$ are targeting with their Media Center(?)
stuff and where the market is set to spread laterally from the typical
home PC, and where - as with mobiles etc - users aren't fixated on the
OS, but are more interested in the functionality. Room for the
garage-based entrepreneur, maybe?

--
John Stumbles