[sclug] Using open source to make money on generic PCs (article)

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Jun 12 00:59:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, John Stumbles wrote:

> alan c wrote:
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6998877341.html
>>
>> Is there anyone local in Berks who uses such an approach?

[snip]

> Maybe package up a system of hardware: a quiet box with decent size HDD,
> DVD rewriter, TV tuner, remote control, choice of decent screens;
> software: all the apps to make it a PVR plus CD/DVD ripping, editing,
> recording & playing, as well as standard distro stuff (fileserving,
> office, games, browsing, mail, photo handling + manipulation etc). Sell it
> as a top-flight PVR/TV plus networked fileserver for your home network

<http://www.d1.com.au/hmc/welcome.php>, using MythTV.

MythTV has been pretty flawless for me, but I'd say it still needs a geek
around from time to time.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>