[sclug] Using open source to make money on generic PCs (article)

Bob Dunlop bob.dunlop at xyzzy.org.uk
Mon Jun 12 06:47:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 11 at 09:35, alan c wrote:
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6998877341.html
>
> Is there anyone local in Berks who uses such an approach?
> Alternatively, would it be considered at some level, if a few
> -volunteers- appreared to assist with some of the chores including
> simple support work - mostly as a labour of love?

I know of at least three "local" companys taking something like this
approach, selling standard PCs with pre-installed linux.  Mostly aiming
at the office server market.  One in Southampton, one in Christchurch
and one whose median address might be Berkshire.

They all differ from the Cybersource approach in at least two aspects.
1. Targeting specific customers rather than the mass consumer market.
2. Not including M$ in the equation.

The Cybersource approach of continuing to bundle XP with the boxes may
make sense for a box shifter whose already doing it,  but $80 off the
margin must still hurt.  Also I'm not sure how many -volunteers- would
be comfortable with such a setup.

Maybe the big difference is one of approach.  The three companys have
all taken the attitude of selling a big value added software/support
structure which incidently happens to run on a generic PC.  Cybersource
is advocating selling a generic PC which incidently includes some open
source software.

--
        Bob Dunlop