[sclug] USB flash devices in Kubuntu

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 09:36:31 UTC 2006

Dear All,

I've just done a clean install on Kubuntu "Dapper Drake" on two machines
and although generally it is a great improvement I do have one very
annoying problem!  Neither machine will hotplug USB flash memory devices
or external hard drives.  KDE pops up the normal message saying:
- "a new medium has been detected, what do you want to do?"

but when I try and open it I get a KDE message saying:
- "Could not mount device. The reported error was: mount: can't find
/dev/sdc1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"

The drives are fine and mounted properly in Breezy.  I can also mount
the devices manually in Dapper - but this is a real fag.  Anyone had
similar problems?

Cheers

Pete