[sclug] USB flash devices in Kubuntu

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Wed Jun 14 09:46:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 10:38:10 +0100, Peter Brewer wrote:
: Dear All,

: I've just done a clean install on Kubuntu "Dapper Drake" on two machines
: and although generally it is a great improvement I do have one very
: annoying problem!  Neither machine will hotplug USB flash memory devices
: or external hard drives.  KDE pops up the normal message saying:
: - "a new medium has been detected, what do you want to do?"

: but when I try and open it I get a KDE message saying:
: - "Could not mount device. The reported error was: mount: can't find
: /dev/sdc1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"

: The drives are fine and mounted properly in Breezy.  I can also mount
: the devices manually in Dapper - but this is a real fag.  Anyone had
: similar problems?

I've had the same problem in Debian.  Oddly, we were discussing this last
night in the pub...

It's a problem with udev (the dynamic /dev/ thing).  I've found it easier
to manually mknod the device files in the past (you'll want:

mknod /dev/sdc1 b 8 33

in all probability), but there's rules-based thing you're supposed to do
instead.

One of these days I'll sort it all out properly...

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.