[sclug] Ubuntu and Zip drives

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Sun Jun 18 19:08:03 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Let me come right out and say it - I like Ubuntu, and I like the latest
Ubuntu 6.06 a lot, and mainly because of the apparent strengths of
apt-get etc I'd like to use it to replace my Mandrake setup at home. But
I ain't going to do so until I can get it to detect and enable my
parallel port 100Mb Iomega Zip drive.

The Ubuntu forums seem strangely quiet on this topic. Mandrake 9, 10.0
and 10.1 have had no trouble seeing and auto-mounting it, and IIRC so
did Mepis (which is based on Ubuntu) when I recently tried it so I would
expect Ubuntu to do the same; but it stubbornly remains Zip-free.

Does anyone out there know what the issue might be, or how to overcome
the problem?

TIA

Neil.