[sclug] Ubuntu and Zip drives

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 18 23:05:21 UTC 2006

Neil Haughton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Let me come right out and say it - I like Ubuntu, and I like the latest
> Ubuntu 6.06 a lot, and mainly because of the apparent strengths of
> apt-get etc I'd like to use it to replace my Mandrake setup at home. But
> I ain't going to do so until I can get it to detect and enable my
> parallel port 100Mb Iomega Zip drive.
>
> The Ubuntu forums seem strangely quiet on this topic. Mandrake 9, 10.0
> and 10.1 have had no trouble seeing and auto-mounting it, and IIRC so
> did Mepis (which is based on Ubuntu) when I recently tried it so I would
> expect Ubuntu to do the same; but it stubbornly remains Zip-free.
>
> Does anyone out there know what the issue might be, or how to overcome
> the problem?

Ick. Consider migrating to USB flash drives :-) FWIW, and for whatever
reason, kernel 2.6, and the udev monster in particular, never really got
on with my IDE zip drive. In the end a combination of that, performance,
and capacity limitations persuaded me to move over: the fact that this
represented moving from an essentially proprietary technology to an open
standard was a bonus. If your box supports USB2, and you're not into
hacking on this sort of stuff for its own sake - well, they're fast[1],
they have big capacities[1], and they're cheap.

If that cop-out doesn't appeal, then - based on some very hazy memories;
YMMV - I suspect the required sequence is:

1. Get the right combination of kernel modules loaded, in the right
order. (Eg. is the printer module "lp" grabbing the parallel port before
the "ppa" zip control module?) It might be instructive to compare the
result of lsmod on the mandrake setup with that on the Ubuntu one if
that's practical. Boot in text mode to do this, if you can: that way all
the X-related modules won't have loaded, so it'll be easier to see
what's going on.

2. Persuade udev to cooperate. (I hate udev cordially, and the feeling
seems to be mutual, but apparently it's the future so I guess I'm stuck
with it.)

3. Your automounter of choice shouldn't put up too much of a fight after
that.

The Oracle of Goog-el may be of use: "Parallel port ZIP disk linux" is
one incantation.

[1] Compared to ZIPs

HTH

Will