[sclug] Drive manufacturers (was: hot drives)

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 19 13:07:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 01:29:45PM +0100, Matt wrote:
> * Keith Edmunds <keith at midnighthax.com> [2006-06-19 13:21:59]:
> >
> > > A while ago I swore never to buy Maxtor ever again but then .....
> >
> > What make of SATA drives do people prefer? I suspect there will be a
> > fairly equal spread amongst users here, but it would be interesting to
> > hear opinions.
>
> I've got some Maxtors on an Areca RAID card, they've worked fine for me.

I have had 3 maxtor SATA drives die in the last 12 months and there
is generally a low opinion of Maxtors so I tend to stay away from
them now.  (some people report having no problems with them, I am
not arguing with your experience, just stating what mine is).

I now prefer Seagate but have no real basis for doing so.

> The top whack WD Raptors seem quite nice, but the price/capacity kind've
> ruined the whole point of me getting SATA in the first place (lots of
> cheap storage), as opposed to my usual choice of SCSI.

Agree it would be nice to be ableto afford those ones that are
actually meant for 24/7 operation instead of the desktop drives
(i.e. all the rest) I tend to make do with at home.

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB