[sclug] Drive manufacturers (was: hot drives)

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Mon Jun 19 13:33:03 UTC 2006

* Andy Smith <andy at lug.org.uk> [2006-06-19 14:07:59]:

> I have had 3 maxtor SATA drives die in the last 12 months and there
> is generally a low opinion of Maxtors so I tend to stay away from
> them now.  (some people report having no problems with them, I am
> not arguing with your experience, just stating what mine is).

Sure. I confess no real love for Maxtors, I just need a bunch of cheap
big disks to RAID together and they happened to tick the box.

IIRC I wanted some that did NCQ to work with the RAID controller. That
might have been the deal clincher.

> I now prefer Seagate but have no real basis for doing so.

Yes, I have to say I tend to prefer Seagate as well. Certainly not had
any problems with any of their SCSI Cheetahs and Barracudas.

I think all manufacturers have had a dodgy line of disks at some point
or another, one of the most famous being the IBM DeathStars. Just a case
of being lucky and avoiding them.