[sclug] Removing Browser Toolbars

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Tue May 16 09:20:45 UTC 2006

he he he he he

I thought this may attract this sort of reaction - I should have
qualified WHY I wanted to do this.

Basically, I'm writing a web based application for a small group of
users to administer their accounts with me.  I have created both menu
and toolbars specific to the functions of the backend of my site.  I
feel that for the level of user I am catering for, having two sets of
toolbars and menubars is very confusing.  For instance, I want to
provide the function for a user to save their data as a formatted PDF
doc.  If they have two menubars with "File > Save as" then half the time
they may end up using the browsers "File > Save as" ending up with an
html file of what they see on the screen.  There is a similar story for
the back and forward buttons.  Parts of this application will allow them
to scroll through database entries.  If they have forward and back
buttons in my app and on their browser this is also likely to cause
confusion.

See example screenies below:
http://www.waleshideaway.co.uk/demo/withbrowserbars.png
http://www.waleshideaway.co.uk/demo/withoutbrowserbars.png

By removing the browser decorations I end up with a simple clean
interface which the user can relate to.  You may think I'm
underestimating my user base - believe me - I'm not.  I totally agree
that for 99.99% of webpages, removing toolbars is a very bad plan but I
think that my pages fall within the 0.01% where it *is* suitable.

Do you guys still think this is a bad idea?

Cheers

Pete