[sclug] Removing Browser Toolbars

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue May 16 13:48:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 10:20:49AM +0100, Peter Brewer wrote:
> If they have forward and back buttons in my app and on their browser
> this is also likely to cause confusion.

But this is just the way the web works.  Why can't you make your website
work with both?

> See example screenies below:
> http://www.waleshideaway.co.uk/demo/withbrowserbars.png
> http://www.waleshideaway.co.uk/demo/withoutbrowserbars.png

I'm not really convinced.

Surely a menubar is a GUI idiom from a GUI app like a browser but
equally like a word processor, spreadsheet etc.

I'm not convinced that having a faked up menubar on a website is ever
really appropriate.

I think I'd rather let the users use the browser's menu or discourage
them from doing so by putting the options they may want (like print/save
etc.) as icons in your page.

The only time I think breaking the web that much is appropriate is when
you control what your users will be running as well in terms of the
browser as then you can accurately reproduce what they'll see.
Otherwise you're just opening yourself up to all sorts of problems.

--
Simon  [ huggie at earth.li ] *\   "Have you seen a man who's lost his  \**