[sclug] Nvidia and Ubuntu.

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Sun May 21 10:07:09 UTC 2006

Ahoy,

On Sunday 21 May 2006 10:41, Neil Haughton wrote:
> Has anyone installed the 'proprietary' nvidia drivers in Ubuntu? I've
> recently installed Ubuntu 5.1 on a box with a Geforce 4 card, and any 3D
> graphics apps run like a dog. The drivers from apt-get have been
> installed but aren't giving me 3D acceleration - I can't find anything
> more to install in the 'multiverse' non-free repository, so I'm a but
> stumped.

Have you checked that you're using the proprietary drivers? I don't know if
apt-get modifies your xorg config file, so look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for
the "Driver" line of the video device section, which should read "nvidia" but
may read "nv" (the Free driver).

Also run 'glxinfo' and look out for indicators of problems:

direct rendering  (should be Yes)
OpenGL vendor string & OpenGL renderer string (should be for Nvidia)

Regards,
Tom

--
I'll give ?100 to People & Planet if 20 people give ?10.
Help me help this amazing student activist network!