[sclug] Nvidia and Ubuntu.

ed ed at s5h.net
Sun May 21 10:57:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, 21 May 2006 10:41:45 +0100
Neil Haughton <n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Has anyone installed the 'proprietary' nvidia drivers in Ubuntu? I've
> recently installed Ubuntu 5.1 on a box with a Geforce 4 card, and any
> 3D  graphics apps run like a dog. The drivers from apt-get have been
> installed but aren't giving me 3D acceleration - I can't find anything
> more to install in the 'multiverse' non-free repository, so I'm a but
> stumped.

It's sad, but official drivers from the nvidia site are capable of more
than those in the debian-way.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8756.html

There is every possibility that I was doing things wrong, but last time
I tried, no matter how much mucking around I could not get dual head to
work.

RMS does not like ATI, and I suspect he dislikes NVidia equally:

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/rms-ati-protest.html

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
just another java hacker