[sclug] passing the torch

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon May 22 22:37:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, ed wrote:

> It's been a while since my first goes with linux. I now have to
> introduce a newbie to the task of administrating ISP servers.
>
> Can anyone give advice on how one should train another in this field,
> and what you might think gives a new comer a good foundation.

Foundations: basic Scientific Method, a little programming

UNIX: everythign is a file, do one thing and do it well (or at least try),
worse is better <http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html>, how to use
truss/strace/ktrace, gdb, lsof, top, vmstat

Networking: TCP/IP, ICMP, SMTP, HTTP, FTP (?), how to use ethereal, nmap and
nessus (run ethereal whilst scanning to show *how* they work).

PC Hardware: it all sucks, boot sequence; from BIOS to X11, anti-static
precautions, ATX PSUs leave motherboards live at all times, maybe a little
x86 assembly - enough to be able to read and check the output of gcc.

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher         Renew for Freedom! Renew your passport in May 2006 and
Bristol, UK          resist compulsory UK ID Cards and National ID Database