[sclug] Vim Query

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat May 27 10:27:03 UTC 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006, Glyn wrote:

> I guess this is to do with me not understanding something pretty basic
> about how Vim works, but I'm still scratching my head. I'm determined to
> make progress with Vim and any help in expediting my learning would be
> much appreciated,

There's nothing magical about vi(m); it's just a boring text editor. If it's
taking you two hours to make a simple edit, then it's obviously the wrong
tool for you right now, and there's no shame in using an editor that you
find easier to use; I've been using UNIX for 14 years and only know enough
vi to repair damaged boot files if that's all I've got available. I do all
my real text editing in more friendly editors ('joe' by choice, but I've
used emacs and pico at times also, as well as various things under
OpenLook).

> Tks,
> Glyn

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher         Renew for Freedom! Renew your passport in May 2006 and
Bristol, UK          resist compulsory UK ID Cards and National ID Database