[sclug] Linux Apprentice Wanted !

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Fri Nov 3 22:08:26 UTC 2006

Alan Pearson wrote:

> Recent graduates can be of any age

That's sophistry really, isn't it. Rugby players can be female, but to
prefer one in a job offer is likely to be interpreted as sex
discrimination[1]

 >>> We're after someone, more than likely a recent graduate
s/$/ because we're not inclined to pay a lot/
would be honest[2], with a disclaimer that if anyone of whatever age
presents themself they'll be considered on their merits.

[1] unless it's a job playing rugby, I suppose. How come that's OK?

[2] if accurate ...
> and the salary is to be discussed on a per applicant basis.
... but if that weren't the reason for the preference it really would
look like age discrimination.

--
John Stumbles

("internet plumber" until made redundant, along with other predominantly
older employees, from last job :-(. Now s/internet//, where age
discrimination generally works the other way :-)