[sclug] Linux Apprentice Wanted !

pieter claassen pieter at claassen.co.uk
Tue Nov 7 06:23:54 UTC 2006

> people are denied the opportunity to pitch for jobs because some dicks
> equate youth with vigour and the ability to assimilate new information,
> or rather equate age beyond 35 with the opposite.

The miracle of communication today is that we should not have to regulate
business beyond the law but that mailing lists like this informs|explores|
alerts potential employers|employees regarding "fit". My opinion is that all
people|companies have a reason why they act in a certain way, be it
historical or philosophical. There is no "right" or "wrong" anymore (at least
since the church lost its power) since we don't all share moral points of
view (within what we agree to be the law). Therefore, the challenge is not to
make everybody "like us" but rather to find those that are "like us"
where "like us" in this case is sharing a set of common values or morals.

Age discrimination, like race and gender discrimination should lead to the
downfall of those that practice it, if this information is effectively
distributed (hey, remember what happened in South Africa?)

But to reiterate, I don't believe AlanP intended to discriminate and I think
that pushing Linux in the business world is great. These opportunities are
self regulating since the entry level job will most probably become high
paying if the application of Linux makes commercial sense.

BTW. a little off-topic but has anybody read this regarding the problems with
supporting custom apps in distros?

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/11/04/apache_packages_support_vacuum/

How interesting and a real problem. The solution is obviously to extend and
implement the LSB (http://www.freestandards.org/en/Specifications) rigorously
that would remove all differences between the distros and therefore turn
everybody into Debian/RH which would lead to another Microsoft ;-)

It seems to me that the LSB is inadequately defined and the scope too narrow
and it  should be extended to cover the minimal requirements for groups like
apache to provide flexibility and supportability?

Pieter