[sclug] Programming editor of choice

ed ed at s5h.net
Tue Nov 7 21:39:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 20:49:29 +0000
Tom Dawes-Gamble <tmdg at tmdg.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 14:18 +0100, pieter claassen wrote:
> > I know this is discussed from time to time but what are the
> > recommended/preferred programming editors out there in Linux land?
>
> Well my choice is emacs.  But I'm not recommending it.
>
> > If you use Emacs, is there a good tutorial/reference site out there
> > (and how  do you stop it from hurting)?
>
> IMVHO emacs doesn't hurt.

hurts the ram though ;) on slow computers ... it's noticable. on my
athlon 64/1.5gig its not really noticeable, but not everyone has such a
system... i wouldnt use it on my 300mhz laptop.

> Going back to the days when all I had was a 24x80 vt52 emacs was the
> only tool to use (IMVHO).

that might be as debatable then as it is now. lots of people could
rebut that ed is the default editor.

> All you needed to do was learn a few chords and you could edit,
> compile and run/test a program without typing any commands as such.
> I'm thinking here of the <meta>-x compile <meta>-` to get to the next
> error the compiler threw up.
>
> I'm sure that you can do the same thing with vi/vim or any other
> editor. I only know how to do it with emacs so that is what I use.

if the Makefile is setup then typing :make runs the make program. which
leads me onto a point about using vim in windows with .net, it does
work, and vim can be configured as the visual studio editor, but its a
heck of a lot of work, sweat and tears.

the make/nmake output can be mapped to move the cursor to the correct
location of the compile error.

> I found that I could take a program with say X modules.
> # emacs src_dir/main.c
> then do <meta>x compile
> that would give some error in say foo.c and bar.c I type <meta>-' and
> I'm taken to the line in error in foo.c then <meta>' again take me to
> the error in bar.c and so on.

editor wars comments aside, both emacs and vi solve the same problem,
how to get characters to and from the disk surface without using a
compass needle and screwdriver.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
proud python person