[sclug] Programming editor of choice

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at tmdg.co.uk
Tue Nov 7 20:49:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 14:18 +0100, pieter claassen wrote:
> I know this is discussed from time to time but what are the
> recommended/preferred programming editors out there in Linux land?

Well my choice is emacs.  But I'm not recommending it.

> If you use Emacs, is there a good tutorial/reference site out there (and how
> do you stop it from hurting)?

IMVHO emacs doesn't hurt.

Going back to the days when all I had was a 24x80 vt52 emacs was the
only tool to use (IMVHO).

All you needed to do was learn a few chords and you could edit, compile
and run/test a program without typing any commands as such. I'm thinking
here of the <meta>-x compile <meta>-` to get to the next error the
compiler threw up.

I'm sure that you can do the same thing with vi/vim or any other editor.
I only know how to do it with emacs so that is what I use.

I found that I could take a program with say X modules.
# emacs src_dir/main.c
then do <meta>x compile
that would give some error in say foo.c and bar.c I type <meta>-' and
I'm taken to the line in error in foo.c then <meta>' again take me to
the error in bar.c and so on.

t.