[sclug] Open Letter to the Community from Novell

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Nov 22 07:34:28 UTC 2006

ed wrote:
> personally i'm in mixed minds about novell now. i cannot decide if their
> intentions are good or evil.
>
> http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/community_open_letter.html
>
> from the above they want to make it appear that their ideas are good and
> pure.
>
> am i right in thinking that the gpl now prevents Novell from
> distributing gpl'd code, since they have an alliance with a company now
> that is taking/trying to take action against gpl'd code distributors...
> all seems like a big mess now.

I am sure their intentions are good, though more with a view about
their hoped for business, rather than the linux or oss community.

However, I think that ms are less naive. They have no love of oss, and
a well proven eye for clever spin and also the techniques of embrace,
extract, exterminate, by whatever means will fulfill their objectives.
All good for business. Novell have a tiger by the tail.

I have used suse almost exclusively until lately. I am now moving away
fast from the distro and also have dropped from suse related support
groups, where I was previously fairly active.
--
alan cocks
Linux registered user #360648