[sclug] Open Letter to the Community from Novell

Patrick patrick at kirks.net
Wed Nov 22 08:29:36 UTC 2006

Novell is a company that sells to big corporates and deals like the MS
one are bread and butter among vendors of that type.

Their buying SuSE puzzled me at the time.  If you look at their track
record in desktop software, they buy companies, mangle their software
while rebranding it, sell it at a loss and lose market share at same
time and then they sell the company on at a huge loss.  The utter
destruction of WordPerfect comes to mind.  In 3 years, they ceded market
leadership to Microsoft Word by devoting themselves to re-coding the
application first in Assembler(!) then in Java(!!) while skipping the
move to 32 bit applications in 1995. By the time it was sold some
Canadian outfit, MS Word coded in plain old C++ and Basic had moved to
32bits and was the standard.

My puzzle was "How can they possibly make any money off selling Linux?"
I mean, these guys sell NetWare to 1000s of users at a time.  How on
Earth can free software fit into that sales model?

This deal with Microsoft looks like an effort to solve that puzzle.

The legal agreement by Microsoft not to sue Novell customers is the
finest example of FUD from Redmond in many a year.  Somewhere in
Microsoft a marketing genius has lined himself up for the bonus of the
century.  Imagine agreeing not to sue someone who has done you no harm
at all except give business to a competitor!

Soon we will see BA promise not to sue EasyJet customers for
trespassing, Rupert Murdoch agreeing not to sue Private Eye readers for
shoplifting and Tony Blair promising not to ASBO Lib Dem voters for
having beards...