[sclug] Open Letter to the Community from Novell

ed ed at s5h.net
Wed Nov 22 20:38:10 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:55:38 +0000
alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:

> Martin Summers wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I have been using SuSE a lot in the last few years and as a desktop
> > system, it works rather well and comes with a lot of applications
> > that are useful, and I *like* it. I sometimes find the Centos and
> > Redhat distros a bit lean sometimes, so often end up installing a
> > lot of additional bits and pieces, but I find the Redhat and Centos
> > stuff nice if you want something that's very "clean" and have a
> > specific purpose in mind...
> >  I'm still a big Sharp Zaurus user (a C860), which is a great tool
> >  and
> > superb for learning linux from the ground up - the linux desktop
> > community could learn a lot from some of the ideas on linux PDA's
> > IMHO.
> >
> > So maybe its time I gave Ubuntu a try while I see how things pan
> > out.....
>
> I agree with much of what you have said, however I have found that
> Kubuntu (Ubuntu with kde, or alternatively, install ubuntu then add
> the package kubuntu-desktop) easily rivals suse for convenience,
> particularly when it is realised that installing stuff is such a
> breeze.The ubuntu family products have an active and friendly
> community supporting them too, while the suse community, hardly the
> correct term, does not do the same thing, and I found it ok, but
> harder work, and less rewarding to help in also.

i think this comes back to mail lists. the debian community is all mail
list and that's why it's dieing, and ubuntu is on the way up.

mail lists are harder to search, but on the other hands, forums are full
of morons. there is some overlap, but it's not a big problem.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.openbsdhacker.com
just another perl person