[sclug] Open Letter to the Community from Novell

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Nov 22 19:54:59 UTC 2006

Martin Summers wrote:

[...]

> I have been using SuSE a lot in the last few years and as a desktop
> system, it works rather well and comes with a lot of applications that
> are useful, and I *like* it. I sometimes find the Centos and Redhat
> distros a bit lean sometimes, so often end up installing a lot of
> additional bits and pieces, but I find the Redhat and Centos stuff nice
> if you want something that's very "clean" and have a specific purpose in
> mind...
>  I'm still a big Sharp Zaurus user (a C860), which is a great tool and
> superb for learning linux from the ground up - the linux desktop
> community could learn a lot from some of the ideas on linux PDA's IMHO.
>
> So maybe its time I gave Ubuntu a try while I see how things pan
> out.....

I agree with much of what you have said, however I have found that
Kubuntu (Ubuntu with kde, or alternatively, install ubuntu then add
the package kubuntu-desktop) easily rivals suse for convenience,
particularly when it is realised that installing stuff is such a
breeze.The ubuntu family products have an active and friendly
community supporting them too, while the suse community, hardly the
correct term, does not do the same thing, and I found it ok, but
harder work, and less rewarding to help in also.

--
alan cocks
Linux registered user #360648