[sclug] Network startup on Debian

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Mon Oct 23 20:16:07 UTC 2006

Salut David!

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 08:12:51PM +0100, David Given wrote:
> There are two things going on: firstly, the boot sequence only runs ntpdate
> *after* the filesystem is mounted, which means that it continually things it's
> been several thousand days since the filesystem was last fscked, and so it
> sits there for half an hour grinding through it

This is flash isn't it? Is it not sensible to tune the filesystem so it
never fscks or edit the initscripts so that's the case?

I know there is an e3 list so they may be more help here.

> and secondly, this thing is
> connected to the 'net via a zd1201 USB wireless thingy, which wants firmware.
> Linux's idiotic firmware loader runs in user space. The USB driver tries to
> find the firmware when the kernel boots, before the firmware loader has
> loaded. So after booting I have to unplug and reinsert the thingy in order to
> make the network come up.

I have a USB ADSL modem which I'm sure I've had working from boot before.

Can you not just compile the firmware loader magic in so it is there?

I'd ask the e3 list tho - I'm sure someone there has solved similar
stuff before.

Simon.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/  "1 girl was just abducted." /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/      - Mulder "Kidnapped." - /**