[sclug] Network startup on Debian

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Oct 24 00:21:10 UTC 2006

Simon Huggins wrote:
[...]
> This is flash isn't it? Is it not sensible to tune the filesystem so it
> never fscks or edit the initscripts so that's the case?
>
> I know there is an e3 list so they may be more help here.

Actually, the whole thing is currently running off a USB hard disk, so the
fact that it's an e3 is irrelevant --- I mention it merely because it's really
slow (and so fscking takes forever). This is, I hope, a generic Linux problem.

[...]
> I have a USB ADSL modem which I'm sure I've had working from boot before.

Did it require firmware? If so, how did you manage to load it before
hotplug/udev starts?

[...]
> I'd ask the e3 list tho - I'm sure someone there has solved similar
> stuff before.

Actually, no. I'm the only one idiotic enough to want to run a real operating
system on it...

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)