[sclug] print server

Simon Champion simon at spudley.com
Tue Aug 28 08:19:35 UTC 2007

Hia all.

Just looking for some advice on buying a print server for my home network.

I've got an Epson laser printer which is currently plugged into one of my PCs, but I want to put it on the network.

I've done a bit of research, and EDIMAX seems to be the cheapest brand of print servers (as low as ?22), but I've never heard of them, and couldn't find much in the way of independent info online either, so I don't know how good they are.

Just about all other print servers I could find were in the ?40-?50 price band, which seems like quite a lot for what is really a fairly simple bit of kit.

My printer has USB and parallel ports. Parallel print servers seem to be quite a bit cheaper, but I'm inclined to get a USB one anyway, as it should be slightly more future-proof (and presumably faster, too?)

Can anyone give me any advice on the best/cheapest options, which will be configurable from my linux box?

(That price of ?22, by the way, was on a site called PCNextday.co.uk, which I've also never heard of -- does anyone know anything about them either? The next best price I found was on Scan.co.uk which I do know about, but it was a tenner more)

Thanks all!

    Simon C.