[sclug] Kinda OT - PC recommendations?

ed ed at s5h.net
Fri Mar 23 11:40:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:14:29 +0000
Will Dickson <wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> My ?0.02: nVidia graphics cards all the way. The one time I went ATI,
> their drivers sucked, and I never did get accelerated 3D working. As
> far as nVidia drivers go, there is a Free one which doesn't have all
> of the 3D acceleration (AFAIK), and a closed, kernel-tainting one
> which works fine with Ubuntu, although YMMV with Feisty until it goes
> gold - I'm still running Dapper.

In addition to the above, the open source driver does not do dual head.
I spent a few evenings trying to get that to work but it just wasnt
going to happen. Closed though it may be, it does the job, and until
they get their ass in gear I'll have to put up with reinstalling the
driver every time the x-window-system* is upgraded.

--
The Raid Array to Qwicky Mart is dropping packets because of Greedo.
Sun Microsystems is charging the omega 13 device