[sclug] Cheap Tesco PC's (with Ubuntu Pre-Installed)

Adam Trickett adam.trickett at iredale.net
Wed Nov 7 18:41:22 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 Nov 2007, Luke wrote:
> Adam Trickett wrote:
> > On Friday 26 Oct 2007, Luke wrote:
> >
> > I cross posted this to the Hants-LUG list. It seems the news has created
> > quite a stir everywhere...
> >
> > See: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Tesco_Every_little_helps
>
> The machine arrived last week - upgraded ubtunu to 7.04 and found no
> problems with hardware support, just needed to tweak the refresh rates
> in xorg for her monitor and hunt around for some canon inkjet drivers.
>
> So mother in law is quite happy Linux user now - in fact she finds
> 'aisleriot' solitaire far superior to the windows version of solitaire :-)
>
> To be honest it will need another stick of ram as there is a slight
> delay on certain parts (such as menu drop downs).

Interesting. I did think extra RAM would help, it usually does, but thankfully
RAM is cheap thesedays. This may be the kind of box I need to get for my dad.
Did you get it with the Tesco TFT screen or did you use another model, and if
you did how good is it?

In the US there is now the ultra-cheap Wall-Mart (hello ASDA) Green gPC
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7754614
for $199 or about ?100.

Like the Tesco model by not shipping Windows they can shave a fraction more of
the purchase price and keep the retail price just that bit lower. They know
full well Linux users will be happy and Windows user will put a boot-leg copy
of Windows on it. Either way the retailer doesn't have to pay Microsoft so
they appear a tad cheaper in the ultra-competitive retail sector.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity
has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    -- Richard Dawkins