[sclug] Cheap Tesco PC's (with Ubuntu Pre-Installed)

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Nov 12 14:38:45 UTC 2007

Adam Trickett wrote:
[...]
> Like the Tesco model by not shipping Windows they can shave a fraction more of
> the purchase price and keep the retail price just that bit lower. They know
> full well Linux users will be happy and Windows user will put a boot-leg copy
> of Windows on it. Either way the retailer doesn't have to pay Microsoft so
> they appear a tad cheaper in the ultra-competitive retail sector.

Does anyone have any detailed information about exactly what these
things are yet? For example, what kind of memory, whether it's PCI-e or
some left over AGP boards, etc?

They do seem to offer a very nice bang:buck ration, but I still can't
help feeling that there must be a catch somewhere...

--
David Given
dg at cowlark.com