[sclug] Upgrading to Ubuntu Gutsy (v7.10)

Simon Champion simon at spudley.com
Tue Oct 16 14:24:56 UTC 2007

I'm planning to wait a bit... at least until the early critical bugs have been discovered and dealt with! ;-)   .....   or possibly until the download servers have quietened down to a sensible level. Either way, I'll hold off for a week or two.

There's not much in 7.10 I'm desperate to get compared with 7.04, so I'm not in a rush.

>    - Gnome 2.20
>    - Compbiz Fusion enabled by default
>    - Desktop Search
>    - Fast User switching
>    - Improvements to Screen config
>    - Printer autoconfig
>    - etc etc (see link above)

I use Kubuntu, so a Gnome update isn't much use to me.
I've already installed Compiz, and.. yeah, it looks nice, but doesn't really do much for me.
Fast user switching would be fabulous if I had multiple user accounts.
Screen config improvements are presumably going to link in with the Gnome and/or Compiz updates, so not much use to me there either.
Printer autoconfig... might be useful, but I was fairly happy with the printer config already?

So if that's the highlights, I'll wait a bit, I think. I'm also not looking to get KDE 4.0 yet.

What I am looking forward to is when they back-port KDE 3.5.8 and Gimp 2.4 when it finally gets released. So when those are available and back-ported into 7.10, I will probably be more inclined to do the update.

On a side note, welcome Simon Hawkins. There seems to be an ever growning collection of Simons in this group. hehehe.

All the best,

    Simon C.

--
www.Skycomuk.com: Providing 0845 and 0800 numbers for UK businesses.
* Get 10% discount until end of October with this code: KXF448RD77