[sclug] Upgrading to Ubuntu Gutsy (v7.10)

ed ed at s5h.net
Tue Oct 16 18:57:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:03:04 +0100
Luke <lukehinds at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree running compiz as default out of the box is daft. It assumes
> target machines will have adequate resources.
>
> I am sure its not that hard to turn off and remove though (about 2
> minutes work)?

Compiz isn't aero.. I think it runs on 3D harware that I bought in
2001, or there abouts, stuff like a S3 Savage could probably do it ok.

My guess is you'd have to eliminate a lot of average computers before
you find something not capable of Compiz... And that sort of hardware
is not going to be used by the average Joe, you're talking about stuff
that has only ttys abilities!

In Canonicals defence Compiz is probably it's selling point, making it
easier to get the 3D desktop is probably going to benefit the project.

--
The PRI to the demarc is screwed because of electromagnetic pulse.
GTE is planting trees instead of cell towers.