[sclug] Upgrading to Ubuntu Gutsy (v7.10)

ed ed at s5h.net
Tue Oct 16 19:10:15 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:56:16 +0100
"Mayuresh Kadu" <mskadu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems the rush has started:
>
> http://www.thelinuxstore.ca/static/ubuntu_7_10_upgrade.html
>
> I am going for it tonight.

Despite the rush, it seems to be flowing at a steady 2mibps, but a word
of warning here:

  http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s102/edb3ta/ubuntu-upgrade-gutsy.png

It might not be a quick upgrade... I don't think this estimation
includes the package configuration time, upgrading things like
postgres/mysql databases can take a while, installing new kernels will
also take a while... most of these things bottleneck at the HDD, dpkg
doesn't thread that I'm aware of... That's probably a good thing...

--
The bread crumbs to 3rd floor is screaming like Bryan Bird because of a
mistake. Sun Microsystems is gasing up the marketing hype machine.