[sclug] Palm replacement - Nokia 770

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 10:38:59 UTC 2007

>Never heard of it but it sounds worth looking at. The main thing for me
>is being able to port over my existing address book and ideally calendar
>(with past as well as future entries) to equivalent apps on the new
>machine, and to be able to sync the handheld to my desktop (which should
>also be able to work with the same app data). I forgot to say I also use
>the appointment reminder alarm function on the Palm and I'd want that on
>a new machine.

>Does the Nokia do that? Are you running those sort of apps on it?

The Nokia has a built in address book, but I'm not sure what format it uses to store data.  It doesn't have a calendar built in, but gpe-calendar can read and I think write a variety of formats e.g. .ics files, WebDAV etc.  I was just starting to investigate some of this when somebody at work threw a Blackberry in my direction so I don't have the same requirement any more.  (I use the Nokia largely as a convenient "always on" web browser / email device at home; the video capability means it's also great for keeping small children entertained in airport departure lounges).

If you want more information, maemo.org is the primary source for applications (all open source, many ports of well-known apps); there are also a few useful forums around; their names escape me but googling should bring them up pretty quickly.

James.