[sclug] Cheap Tesco PC's (with Ubuntu Pre-Installed)

ed ed at s5h.net
Sat Oct 27 11:17:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:57:16 +0100
Luke <lukehinds at gmail.com> wrote:

> Apologies in advance if you have already stumbled across this;
>
> http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-3224/btnResultSort.x%3d509/btnResultSort.y%3d291.aspx
>
> http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-6129/btnResultSort.x%3d509/btnResultSort.y%3d291.aspx

Couldn't get to this last night as my NTL cable modem was going loopy.
Has anyone else suffered from 'busy period(tm)' when having no
connectivity is a 'minor issue' (according to the NTL tech support who
refused to refund my call).

As a result, I'm not tracking the stats from my modem, perl scripts
here if anyone else is curious if the problem is media related or
simply NTL running out of transit:

  http://www.s5h.net/code/perl/ntl_virgin_media.pl
  http://www.s5h.net/code/perl/mrtg_make.pl

HOLY PROCESSOR CACHE BATMAN!!!

1GB Proc Cache!?! I wonder if I can hold them to this!! Doesn't suggest
how much RAM it has, knowing my luck if I buy it there will be none, or
1GB, but if it has 1GB RAM I bet there's 0 processor cache.

Looks better than what I forked out for a while back and am getting
seriously depressed about because I can't do proper KVM.

(Does it really have 6 USB sound devices? I know back in around 2000 I
craved a creative labs USB 256bit external sound device, basically as
my laptop had a rubbish AC97 crackling sound output).

I won't hassle Tescos over this, that's not the sort of attention I
want to let them anticipate from further free OS product lines.

--
The 28.8 frame relay to www.trance-atlantic.co.uk is errored because of
electromagnetic pulse. Valve Software is working on retention of high